What is a Jessner Peel?
What is a Jessner Peel?
Jessner’s Peel can be used with all skin types to also treat mild or even severe acne, sun damage, mild to moderate wrinkles, and discoloration. This technique is advantageous when compared to others because it is also acceptable to use on the hands, neck, and upper chest.
A Jessner peel combines lactic acid, salicylic acid and resorcinol to exfoliate the skin. This is a peel of medium depth which means the combination of ingredients reach deeper layers of the dermis than superficial peels. It is a leave-in solution that is self-neutralizing and takes several days to complete the peeling process (typically about 7 to 8 days). A Jessner peel is for both men and woman who have acne, fine lines or uneven skin tones.
What are the benefits?
– reduce dark patches and age spots
– even out skin tone
– reduce the appearance of scars
– smooth fine lines and wrinkletreat melasma (skin discoloration), hyperpigmentation, and acne scars
What to expect
To begin a Jessner Peel, the skin will first be cleansed with a glycolic cleanser, which will remove dirt, oil, and the outer layer of the skin called the horny layer. The solution of Lactic Acid (used for exfoliation), Salicylic Acid (used for penetration), and Resorcinol (used for treatment of acne) is applied to the skin. Client may experience a warm, tingling or a burning sting during the application. After application of peel, a white frost will appear on the skin, but will disappear within a few hours. During the next few days the skin will appear red. Skin conditions during the peeling process may range from mild stinging, mild swelling and redness, mild crusting and finally peeling. The skin can become very dry, and tight. Moisturiser should not be used for a few days after the treatment as this might lessen the effects of the peel. Results will vary with each client.
What to do before and after Jessner Peel
– Avoid use of skin care products with certain ingredients (AHAs, BHAs, retinoids, benzoyl peroxide) for one week
– Avoid exposure to UV light for two weeks
– Avoid antibiotic use
– Skin should be minimally touched for the first 1 to 2 days
– Never peel off the skin; allow the skin to shed naturally
– Avoid UV exposure. If you need to go outside, do not forget to wear sunscreen. An SPF of at least 30 should be worn at all times during the daylight hours.
– Avoid extreme temperature exposure and exercise or activity that will cause sweating during the first several days after the peel
– Do not apply water or oil based products on the application area for six to eight hours (preferably overnight). Water can push the solution deeper into the skin, and oil will neutralize the action of the peel.
– When the skin begins peeling (typically around day 3 post-peel), add hydrating skin care products to your regimen
– No makeup until peeling is complete
Triniti Laser is an award winning Medi Spa in New Westminster. Our clients come from all of the lower mainland, Vancouver, Burnaby, and Surrey to visit us. Call us to book for a Jessner Peel, or talk to our certified technicians about laser skin treatments such as skin rejuventation, sublative, skin tightening and more. Book your free consultation today!